With many of our apartment homes offering fixed or included utility bills, you may think you don’t have control over how cool your apartment stays this summer. In all actuality, there are several ways to make the most of the A/C. Here are five of the best.
- Improve circulation: If your goal is to cool your entire apartment, keep all interior doors open to allow for air to move freely. That being said, if you wish to direct cooler air to a specific room, like the bedroom, shut doors as needed to force cooler air where you want it to go.
- Stay away from the light. Make sure to keep blinds and curtains shut during the hottest time of the day (typically between 10am and 4pm). This gives your A/C a better chance at keeping up.
- If you have a ceiling fan, make sure to set it to “cool” (counter-clockwise). This will counteract cold air’s tendency to sink to the lowest level and create a comfortable, cooling breeze that cools the skin.
- Arrange your furniture. To maximize airflow throughout your apartment, make sure there is some space between the walls and your large furniture items, such as a couch or stuffed chairs. Also avoid placing large pieces of furniture in front of or to the side of an air-conditioning unit or vent.
- If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. Literally. Cooking over a hot stove or oven will only add points to your thermostat, so consider grilling out or choosing a lighter fare, like salads, sandwiches, and dips.
We’re here to make sure you are comfortable in your apartment home. Let your leasing office know if your air-conditioner is leaking or not working properly. Have a great summer!